1) When you need immediate ability to communicate on-site to one or many at the press of a button. Radios are the most reliable method.
2) No monthly bill. No minutes.
3) Durability. Business radios are designed to go a 40-hour work week. Many are rated for resistance to moisture, dust, and humidity. They are made to be a workhorse.
4) Using handheld radios for on-site communications can keep workers on task, and prevent the abuses seen with cellphones. (No calling home or surfing the web on a 2-way radio.)
5) Longer life expectancy. Most cellphones last 2-3 years at best. Business two-way radios typically last 5-7 years, or even longer if you have them serviced as needed.
6) Business radios are typically repairable at a reasonable rate, while cellphones usually require replacement.
Just a few thoughts to ponder. You may be able to add more…
There are situations where cellphones are ideal. But in the situation of public safety, business or on-site communications, radios still give you the best all around solution.